Dennis on the Road

Monday, July 11, 2005

superweek begins!


Me pulling the breakaway with the field behind: Menasha, WI: July 9, 2005

It is great to be back at the Superweek bicycle race series in Wisconsin. I’m staying at my friend Douglas’ place just off of Brady Street, a popular strip of cafes, restaurants, and bars. Great for people watching while recovering from the day’s race. Douglas’ kindness and the familiar fun of the racing makes Milwaukee feel like a second home.

My first three races have gone well. I feel strong and have been riding aggressively. Each day I’ve been in several breakaways, but unfortunately not the winning ones. My sprint is faster than it has ever been, though. I finished 2nd in the field sprint in both Saturday and Sunday’s criteriums and 1st in today’s road race. (It was an exciting photo finish. I threw my bike forward at the line and won by only a tire’s width, which I witnessed on the race video afterwards.)

For the first nine days of Superweek I’m racing the 30+ masters series. Following that I’ll take a few days off and spend time with family in Grand Rapids. I’ll return for the final three Pro races. After yesterday’s race I was 4th overall. That slipped a bit today, but I hope to get it back up in the coming days. You can check the current standings here.

Other news: I just finished The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. Highly recommended. Let me know if you've read it and what you think.

1 Comments:

At 10:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Dennis! Way to go! Such fun to follow you at Eagle Rock and now racing! Love the photos too! Looks like you had some fun with your little cat mascot---certainly gave me a chuckle! Happy for you starting your new adventure!

Just got back from camping in the redwoods and tramping up mountains, and across streams. Loved it! Going back soon to find an elusive waterfall. Hugs, Judy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home