Dennis on the Road

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Go Trish! Go!


At the beginning of 2001 I was emerging from 6-months of hell. Shortly after my mom passed away from leukemia and my marriage dissolved, my dear friend Skeeter reached out and signed me up to train for a half Ironman triathlon with Team in Training. (It was a mandate, not an invitation.) I did the race in honor of my mom, and I used the training to springboard my return to bike racing after a 12 year hiatus. It was a transformative experience. My life is in a very different and much brighter place now. Friends, like Derike and Nargis, who I met through the training five years ago, are still close in my life.



When my girlfriend, Trish, mentioned that she was considering joining Team in Training and participating in the Treasure Island Olympic Distance Triathlon in November, I promised to offer all the support I could. And... part of this support is to encourage (or shame) you all into supporting this important cause. The money donated to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's Team in Training goes to fund cancer research and to support patients and their families.

Any size donation is welcome and meaningful. You can donate by clicking this link, or email me and I'll let you know where you can send a check.

Although Trish never had the opportunity to meet my mom, Barb Guikema, she is honoring her memory through her training, fundraising and participation in this triathlon... and that means the world to me. I would also like to congratulate/encourage Alex who just completed an Ironman with Team in Training and Deborah, who will be doing a marathon with TNT in December!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home