Dennis on the Road

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

only 2 days here and i'm already brought to the police station!


The photo is of a rugby game with the Trinidad and Tobago National Criterium Championship in the background (taken Sunday)

So right after I posted my last blog there was a bustle and some obvious worry buzzing through the tile store my host family owns. I grabbed my computer and Rafael and his dad and I jumped into the car. It turns out that Rafael’s brother, Ramon, was in police custody. He was pulled over for having excessively tinted windows and he gave the cop some excessive lip. His “what if I don’t go with you to the police station” was replied with “then I’ll have to take you by gun point” which by the time it reached Rafael and his dad had become a tale of a gun actually being drawn.

Fortunately by the time we got to the police station the situation had already calmed considerably. Ramon bitterly peeled the stubborn tint off the window while Rafael and his dad talked to the cop about mutual interests in motorcycle and boat racing.

~~~~~~~

I’m in love with the food here! For lunch we ordered roti with everyone in the office with beef, chicken, and shrimp dishes, along with rice and dal. Damn! For dinner Rafael did wonders on the grill. Ox tail and ribs were marinated in delicious local spices. Eggplant was also grilled, plus there were potatoes, greens, and black beans. Delicious! Some top shelf rum made me even happier.

~~~~~

This morning I was again up at 5:30 AM. Today’s ride was a hill workout. We rode out the “North Coast Road” where we did hill repeats followed by a gorgeous ride to a lookout of the splendid coastline. I love how the team rides together daily… and laughs a lot. Check out the Heatwave Cycling Team website, or suck salt!

1 Comments:

At 1:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Den! It's great to hear what's going on in your life. It sounds pretty exciting right now. Thanks for the picture of your neice. What a cutie!

I miss your mom too. I'm surprised how often I think of her yet. She was a good friend.

Hugs,
Lynn

 

Post a Comment

<< Home