Dennis on the Road

Monday, October 10, 2005

Alex's Ironman for the Leukemia Society!


In 2000, when I was going through the most difficult period of my life, on the heals of my divorce and the death of my mom from leukemia, my dear friend Skeeter resurfaced and offered several avenues to healing. First she took me skiing every other week and then she convinced me to participate in a half Ironman triathlon, raising money and awareness for the Leukemia Society while getting fit with their Team in Training (TNT) program.

The experience was much more than I could have imagined. It both helped me to cope with my mom’s death (in a way that she would certainly appreciate) while moving on in a very healthy way with my own life. Although I’ll never do another triathlon (hopping into a lake with a thousand swinging and kicking limbs is not my idea of fun) this experiencing was my path back into cycling… and you know where that has led me!

This morning I read an email from Skeeter’s wonderful sweetheart/partner Alex who is beginning her training for Ironman Canada in August 2006. She will be raising at least $7500 for the Leukemia Society. I will be helping out with that and would be most honored if some of my friends would also chip in, even if you can only donate a few bucks in memory of my mom or someone close to you who has suffered from cancer or to honor someone who is currently fighting that battle. Go to http://www.active.com/donate/tntgsf/AWalterspiel and you can donate any amount you like. Thanks!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home